Welcome to the Harris County Medical Society (www.hcms.org).
The mission of the Harris County Medical Society is to be the leading advocate for our member physicians, their patients and our community, in promoting the best standards of ethical medical practice, access to quality medical care, medical education, research, and community health.
We achieve our mission through five key goals:
1. ADVOCACY AND THE VOICE OF PHYSICIANS: Determine and advance the membership’s position on the ethical, quality, scientific, educational, social and economic aspects of medicine.
2. MEMBER BENEFITS, PROGRAMS AND SERVICES: Ensure member value through services, involvement and practice support.
3. ORGANIZATIONAL STRENGTH: Maintain a strong organizational infrastructure to serve our members.
4. ETHICAL STANDARDS AND QUALITY MEDICAL CARE: Advance high ethical standards and quality medical care by example in all the Society’s activities.
5. COMMUNITY HEALTH AND EDUCATION: Promote community health issues by providing quality public and professional health education programs and advocating effective public health policy.
The Harris County Medical Society (HCMS) and the Texas Medical Association (TMA) are unified and offer a joint membership with over 100 member benefits to physicians and their staff including socioeconomic and legislative advocacy. Below are links to key sections of the Website that might be particularly valuable to community practices.
- CMEs offered by HCMS and TMA as traditional lectures or webinars at no cost or low cost. CME in Ethics can be found at this site. Lecture topics include ICD-10; Medicare 2014; Marketing 101 and much more.
- HCMS Payment Advocacy program assists member physicians who have been unable to resolve claims issues/problems with payers. Since 2000, HCMS has collected over $19 million for our members. It is a free member benefit.
- Business of Medicine includes information regarding payers, HIPAA, practice management, different practice and payment models, contract review assistance, evaluating and negotiating emerging payment options and much more.
- Health System Reform includes updates to the Health Insurance Marketplace, a compliance calendar, incentive calculators, pay for performance, tools and pertinent information physicians need to know as the Affordable Care Act rolls into implementation.
- Choose your News is an email service offered on eight topics including Practice Management & Insurance. The latest updates on each topic are emailed to registered physicians and staff.
- Online Member Directory offers physician fax and NPI numbers.
- Staffing Services available to grow and enhance your staff to meet your practice’s challenges. A low cost member benefit offered at 50% discount.
- Buyer’s Guide, a list of over 100 companies focusing on the needs of physicians and their practice.
- Membership renewal or application is available online. An interest free monthly payment plan is available.